Baking: Bacon Cheddar Scones Recipe
Here’s an adapted Buttermilk scones recipe from the BBC Cakes and Bake 101 recipe book.We made all 3 batches of them and they turned out pretty awesome! They didn’t taste as good the next day though, so I’ve upped the butter portion as well as the cheese and bacon – you can never have enough of all 3 key ingredient anyway, right?
For a batch of 20 Bacon Cheddar scones
350g self raising flour
100 caster sugar
100g (recipe says 85g) of butter cut into small pieces
175ml of buttermilk (or low fat yogurt)
500g of smoked bacon chopped into fine pieces
500-700g cheddar cheese grated
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC, mix together flour and sugar in the bowl, rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2. Pan fry the bacon bits until crispy, drain
3. Mix in grated cheddar and then the bacon bits
4. Make a well and pour in the buttermilk, mix well. You should get a wet dough consistency
5. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly with the ball of your palms
6. Press the dough out to about 2.5cm thickness and start using the scones cutter (I used a champagne glass)
7. Gather up trimmings and knead gain. Repeat with scones cutter.
8. Transfer the scones to a baking tray lined with baking paper spaced apart and bake for 12-15mins, depending your oven, check on it and rotate the tray to make sure they cook evenly. Leave on and the cooling rack and ready to serve!
Bon Appétit!bacon cheddar scones, baking, BBC baking 101, recipe