Recipe: Cheese scones
I didn’t feel like having bacon in my scones and soaking in the animal fat, so I doubled the cheese in this earlier recipe. This yielded 25 scones that were moist and dense. It’s similar to a Bacon Cheddar Scones recipe I posted, with some modifications.
I am back practising how to take better photos and by sheer laziness and as a goal to take better photos, I don’t photoshop or edit them, so they are as they are coming out from my DSLR.
Although I mixed gluten free flour in, it yielded wonderful texture. I think the cheese fat left the insides perfectly savoury and moist.
350g self raising flour (I mixed it in with 180g of gluten free flour)
30g caster sugar ( I used coconut sugar)
100g (recipe says 85g) of butter cut into small pieces
175ml of buttermilk (or low fat yogurt)
500g of mature cheddar cheese grated
1 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC, mix together flour and sugar in the bowl, rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2. Mix flour, salt, and sugar together, rub cold butter into the mixture to form bread crumbs-like texture
3. Add in the cheddar cheese and mix well
4. Make a well and pour in the buttermilk, mix well. You should get a wet dough consistency
5. Tip the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly with the ball of your palms
6. Press the dough out to about 2.5cm thickness and start using the scones cutter
7. Gather up trimmings and knead gain. Repeat with scones cutter.
8. Brush the top of the scones with egg to get the golden brown colour.
9. Transfer the scones to a baking tray lined with baking paper spaced apart and bake for 12-15mins, depending your oven, check on it and rotate the tray to make sure they cook evenly. Leave on and the cooling rack and ready to serve!